Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Art Gallery Conundrum...

Today marked our last big Asian bazaar shopping spree before heading back to the States - we FINALLY purchased a tonsu (a large wooden step chest), picked up a limited edition print of two koi, a sandalwood carving, and a painting highlighting two beautiful cranes taking flight before Mt. Fuji. Our home has officially become an eclectic tribute to our international travels; everywhere we go, we make it a point to return with gorgeous pieces from that region. Sakura (cherry blossom) pottery and scrollwork from Korea, aboriginal paintings from Australia, hand-woven fabrics and watercolors from Thailand (we actually watched the artist as he worked), silk obis and furniture from Japan, and stuff from W-A-Y back...carvings done by members of an Indian tribe in the Pac NW (we watched them make these too). And that's only half of it. In addition to the international art I've failed to mentioned, there's also the beautiful pieces that Eileen has done, specifically the oil of me poised atop a fallen log at Deception Pass, that hold positional significance throughout our home--adorning walls in the foyer...the livingroom...the hallway...and our bedroom. So very cool.

Soooo...there in lies my conundrum. I have an art gallery for a house and we've run out of room. :) Half of our stuff is lying on and around the bed in the guestroom. My goal for house hunting in Hawaii is to find a house with enough walls to hang everything. I think I'll be sad if I have to pick and choose. :( I also am in need of some serious recommendations for positioning and paint color. I'm TERRIBLE at layouts, color, and design, so I think I'll be employing the use of the people at This Young House, http://www.thisyounghouse.com/ (thanks Jamie for the recommendation!) once I get there. I so love their ideas!

Once we get settled there and I get some good advice, I'll be sure to post pics of all the stuff we've accumulated in the last five years. It'll blow your mind. Once Chris retires from the military, I'm sure we'll need a 4,000+ sq. ft. home to house our collection. It's certainly become quite the past time!

Love to all,

Amanda

1 comment:

eileen said...

So, what you do is rotate the collection, as do the large museums (and those who create art)! That way you never have to limit the possibilities. Just look for a home with a large climate controlled storage room -- and a curator.:-)