Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It was the Best of Times, It was the Worst of Times...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're back from our trip to Singapore. How'd it go you ask? Well...the opening line from A Tale of Two Cities seems to best describe our four day adventure. There were great occasions and not so great ones; fabulous evenings at sunset spent dining along the waterfront and a horrible final evening made "complete" by a tired, screaming baby, 2 papers due for school, and a surprise and infuriating restaurant bill for two of $462.00 (yes...FOUR HUNDRED, SIXTY-TWO DOLLARS!); a fun-filled day exploring the city and various Asian museums with a newly-made missionary friend from China, and a 7-hour airplane ride with a wasted guy who puked all over himself 20 minutes after takeoff.

It's hard to ever complain about such vacations being horrible--after all, you ARE thousands of miles away from home and work with the people you love, taking in new sights and experiences. But this trip might take the cake on the "not so fun" factor. It's hard to say...Chris and I are still weighing the trip's positives against its negatives. After our many adventures in countries like Australia, Thailand, S. Korea, and even here in Japan...Singapore was just...well...disappointing. It just didn't measure up. Maybe we're a bit jaded after having been to so many different countries and been a part of so many exciting experiences. *Frown* I hope not.

When I get longer than just a moment to write, I'll post a better synopsis of our travels and include some photographs. At least, the photos turned out really well! Chris managed to get an action shot of two white tigers fighting...how cool is that??

We leave for Hawaii in just over a month to find a new home. Let's pray that trip goes very well and there are no troubles to speak of--no unconsolable babies, no drunk guys who lose all bodily function and no unexpected, enormously expensive dining experiences that just make you wish you'd just stayed home.


Amanda

4 comments:

Dan02USNA said...

Sorry Singapore was a bust! Hopefully the upcoming trip to HI and back to GA will be MUCH better. I doubt you'll get a surprise dinner bill for that much at Lou's BBQ!!! :)

Kristen and Jeff Harper said...

I loved your comment about the laundry!! So funny!! I loved Singapore . . . we also got one of those surprise bills! That will put a damper on a vacation for sure!

Kristen and Jeff Harper said...

PS. I should say I think i loved Singapore so much because I had not seen Jeff is 5 months and I met him there during deployment. I could have been at the Artic Circle and been happy I was so relieved to see him! I am so jealous about Hawaii!! Lucky!!!!

Amanda said...

We'll do what we can to endure such a "horrible" experience. ;) I'm sure there's nothing so bad there that a couple of Mai Tais couldn't fix. ;)