Friday, September 12, 2008

Heroism and Sacrifice

I wrote the following in response to a forum comment regarding John McCain not being a "hero." While you may or may not agree with his politics, I find it hard to ignore the sacrifices this man has made in service to his country. And while I won't elaborate or dwell on the blogger's words (although I thought they were extremely off the mark and very misinformed, but that is MY opinion), I will share with you my thoughts on what heroism is truly all about. Please feel free to share your thoughts or comments as well.

Here's to all the heroes out there.

Love to all,

Amanda



I’m curious as to when heroism became so strictly defined as requiring death or wearing a shiny medal on one’s chest. I’m quite sure that if you speak with a Medal of Honor recipient, he or she could quickly name someone who was a greater hero in their own lives…a teacher, a social worker, a parent, a minister, a friend…someone who is no less of a hero despite the fact that they didn’t die for their cause or receive some prestigious award. Heroes are defined not by the idle words or opinions of those who stand indifferent to their bravery, courage, sacrifice, and service. I think a hero can only be truly defined by those whose lives they’ve positively changed and impacted…and I think their actions don’t necessarily require some dramatic ending or great personal sacrifice to be identified as “heroic.” For you or me, someone who donates a single book to a third world reading program may not appear to be a hero—they didn’t commit some brave act by throwing themselves on a grenade or jumping in after someone drowning. For a little girl or boy who never had the opportunity to read before that book was placed in their hands…that small, unnamed benefactor may most certainly be a hero in their eyes. It may open the door that would have otherwise never been opened. And I don’t think it’s fair or just to deny them or anyone the right to name their own hero.

For me, John McCain is a hero, as I’m sure he is to those POWs who lay bound and broken with him in Vietnam. As are my father and grandfather, who fought in Vietnam and WWII respectively, and came home without ever being bestowed some great honor by their country. They’re heroes because I recognize them as such and their sacrifice touches my life in a profound way....We all experience arduous times, but none greater than those who sacrifice who and what they love most for a cause greater than themselves.



(I feel like a wrote a college essay submission--now where's my scholarship? ;) )

2 comments:

Katie said...

I agreed with you on the board and think you worded it perfectly!

Amanda said...

THANKS! Our fellow member on the forum had all her history wrong (McCain's father's professional history vs. his grandfather's, work camps, etc.), but I didn't feel right about pointing that out to her.

You're blog is the best...keep it coming! :)