Thursday, February 21, 2008

Overseas...again????

Chris and I were discussing the course of his naval career last night and where it might take us--Hawaii (already "booked"), back to Whidbey Island, Annapolis, D.C., San Diego...and then I turned the conversation to mutually-agreed upon, unmentionable territory...ANOTHER overseas tour. Did I just "go there?" Did I open a can of worms? Maybe...maybe not. ;)

As many of you know, I wasn't thrilled, initially, about the prospect of coming to Japan. Three years ago, I had completely different school plans laid out for myself and because I was hearing the undeniable "tick-tock" of a certain biological clock (Chris', not mine :) ), it meant that I was running out of time in achieving them. Actually, the words "not thrilled" do not begin to accurately describe our reaction to coming here...devastated was more like it. Well, God certainly had different plans in mind for us--my career included. But, I've realized that's not a bad thing. Despite my boredom in being in Misawa, Japan has given us Noah and has allowed Chris and I to both complete school. It also paved the way for my career to take a different course, which in turn, allows me far more flexibility, opportunity, and comes with an extra special perk--the potential of being able to work out of my home. :)

(Arrgghhh, I got sidetracked...sorry. Back to future station possibilities)

Several of our friends have had the opportunity to be stationed at various overseas locations in Europe--Rota (Spain), Naples (Italy), Sigonella (Italy), and locations in Belgium and Germany. They all loved it...but who wouldn't love Italy, right??? :) So, I thought, "Why not?" I've lived in North America, lived in Asia, adding "Europe" to that list would be extra-special, super-duper cool! So...let's see...I would then be just be four continents away from having achieved residency status across the globe!!! :) Ha, ha!!

So, we're seriously entertaining the idea. Chris thought he could get us to any of those locations in five years--during his department head tour. I think it would be pretty cool to live in one of those places and use it as a springboard to various destinations in Europe, as well as maybe Africa.

Egypt, maybe? Because I've always wanted to see the pyramids....


Love to all,
Amanda

No comments: